Saturday, September 8, 2012

Total Trash s/t Tape


Boy, it really does make my day to hear some gracious new sounds from upcoming bands. Total Trash is one of these up and comers that will definitely turn some heads into their direction and leave them scratching and aching for more. Their self titled tape is a good place to start, the first of many releases for this Minneapolis quartet.

It's really hard to draw comparisons with other bands, especially in regards with this release. All of these tracks are pretty diverse within the realm of sounding hardcore, either from speeding up the pace within a couple tracks ("Eye Candy Girl", "Glitter") or slowing things down relinquishing an angrier, sludgier noise that would make even a sludge metal fan cringe ("Biblical Names", for starters). This is all a plus though, because it has something any hardcore fan can enjoy, whether it's getting hyped up from the band's faster songs or taking in the angry vibe from their slower, heavier tracks. I dug the entire tape, based on all this. In this day in age where most bands often are reduced to playing at a certain standard, it's great to hear bands take things up a notch and go in a different direction with a particular sound, while still managing to keep things fresh and in line.

Any tracks that would ring these points true? "Biblical Names" is one that comes to mind, the first track to really bring in that sludge vibe within the intro. I won't lie, the vocals sound pretty harsh, but it's what makes the track standout. As I said before, it's hard to really draw comparisons but I draw more of a connection with Lebenden Toten with the overall sound from "Biblical Names". That's just me though, but I'm sure a few would probably agree. From first checking out their bandcamp, one track had caught my eye and solidified that I had to check out this tape, aptly titled "Lesbian Blowjob". After I had stopped giggling to myself, I thought this track was another visible gem, being caught in the chaotic mess of screams, hypnotic guitar riffs, and powerful drum blasts. Pure fun, if I do say so myself. The last track off the B-side, "Far Out Dude", perfectly ends the tape on a high note, taking in more of a punk influence compared the mentioned tracks. Overall, I'm impressed.

If this sounds like this would fit into your alley of music, I'd advise for you to check it out. In the mean time, I'll bring in some more reviews when I have the chance. Til then, cheers!

Total Trash Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment