Thursday, August 19, 2010

Strangelight 8/18: Nazi Dust, Population, Leather, Poison Planet, Culo

In my opinion, it was too much to pass up not witnessing Nazi Dust live, taking a chance to witness 5 other shows going on yesterday night on bands I could have cared less for (I'm referring to Bane and Trapped Under Ice, course I'm speaking out of spite). So determined to rid my conscience off, I decided to pay the strangelight a little visit to see Nazi Dust. Boy what an adventure...

I had heard quite great things about the strangelight, mainly since the media here in the city hypes the venue and volunteers every now and then for producing DIY shows and being able to hold up an event like the DIY fair held a couple months back. I'm sure this was no different than any other show space in the city, such as Ronny's and hell, it might be a little bit fun being a basement with rambunctious kids. Located conveniently beside Congress theater, I hoped the Blue line towards California stuck hearing odd conversations about a penguin named goose and almost got lost off Milwaukee. Never the less I made it in peace, and payed the door man $6 in time.

The show didn't start later on till 8, despite the numerous flyers handed out and different sites stating it would start at 7, sharp. It didn't make the show worse at all for me, as I was overhearing Nazi Dust's conversation on Juggaloos and Pirate punk. Quite humorous guys once they get out of their shell. One of the guys leading the shows seemed pretty timid and controlled, but disappointed kids were seeing Bane rather than Dust. Oh well, shame on them.

Culo started up the show quite nicely and encourage a couple of kids to get a little pumped. A band from Elgin, a little county in Illinois, Culo received some national coverage due to an interview with Maximum Rock N Roll a while back, not to mention their 7 inches that will most likely gain them status for years to come. Any who, these guys were great, unleashing a band off fury for an opening band. no mishaps, no worries, despite the crowd not being so much active. In fact, we were quiet, oddly. I blame myself but hey, it didn't slow these dudes one bit and I give them credit for it.

After a brief intermission, Poison Planet were up next to give off some of their energy from their performance. At first I was unexcited by their music, since it was really dreary, slow, the synth was pretty annoying, and I couldn't hear the vocalist from the point where I was standing. However, after time passed, their set wasn't really too bad. The group played off in the manner of Joy Division, giving off that 80's vibe. It didn't hurt them either, but like I said, I gotten bored pretty quickly. No worries though, Poison Planet did pretty decent, at least I wouldn't call their performance or music terrible. I wouldn't hurt if I had listened to them earlier.

After some weird misunderstanding from the lineup, Leather was up right after Poison Planet. Straight outta Philly, Leather put on a very outstanding set. The band was furious, straight to the point, and turned many heads that night. The crowd energy came back during their set, as a couple of kids were starting little pits here and there. Leather even played a Cro-Mags cover for the audience, getting a little more people into their set and joining along for the pit, chanting "DON'T TREAD ON ME!". Although I'm really dismissive of the current hardcore scene aside a couple of bands, Leather really impressed me a whole lot. Kudos Fellas, Kudos.

Population was the second headliner that evening, hailing from the city of Chicago. Population features members from No Slogan, Ultratumbados, Raw Nerve, and Razorfade, playing the same vein as those bands as well; pure unadulterated hardcore punk. the vocalist overall thanked the crowd, the bands, and the caters that evening before engaging into their set list. The band still gave out that same energy Leather unleashed earlier, but the lack of crowd movement probably hurt their set list a little bit. None the less, The band was pretty impressive, dishing out great hardcore songs with all the bullshit needed. It's pretty hard to find bands like that around these days.

Nazi Dust finally graced the stage, at least 3/4 the members did anyway. I still have no clue on the whereabouts of bassist Dan Rossiter, due to many rumors surrounding him via absence. That probably hurt the group for a big portion of their set, although I give them credit for still going on a limb to tour the east coast. Despite Dan's absence, the band went on with the show, playing songs from their well recognized 7 inch and revered Demo tapes. The vocalist was all over the place with no doubt and the guitarist and drummer made no mistakes, and kept on trekking never missing a beat. Much like Population, no crowd movement took place, despite displaying a ferocious, hard-hitting set. I guess it would have worked better had Rossiter taken part of the gig.

All in all, the show itself was not horrible. Sure the lack of crowd energy hurt a good portion of the band's set, but despite the faults, the show was still a success. A bit disappointed Nazi Dust didn't have any of 12 rumored to be released this summer, but none the less, I give them luck on the rest of the tour. Was the hype surrounding the band necessary to see them live? that's up to the scene to decide. As for me, I don't think they were all that terrible to miss out on, considering the options I had for shows yesterday evening. It beats seeing Bane, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment